Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, March 2, 2014

    Ada's Top 10 Films of 2013

    It's March 2nd, I trust I am adequately (fashionably?) late in posting my top 10 list?  But really, what better date/time than just before the Oscars? This might even clear up the question of who I'm rooting for to win a statuette tonight. 

    Usually in January I take the opportunity to catch up on any award favourites and other must-see's during 30 Films in 31 Days before compiling my list, admittedly I got through those rapidly, it's just been procrastination since.

    Let's jump right in...

    Films that qualify for Ada's Top 10 Films of 2013:

    - any film from a film festival that I attended in 2013
    - any film with a Canadian theatrical release dated in 2013
    - is listed on www.imdb.com as released in 2013

    Though I've complained on many occasions, this year was truly the toughest in determining a frontrunner for best film. Frontrunners even.  I could have easily recommended 20 great films but not even drawing on pretentious artist merit nor secret guilty pleasures could help me in determining a favourite. So don't read too much into the rankings of my films, it's only because there's a metaphorical gun to my head...

     1) Dallas Buyers Club (USA)
     2) Trance (UK)
     3) Captain Phillips (USA)
     4) Inside Llewyn Davis (USA)
     5) The Butler (USA)
     6) Prisoners (USA)
     7) The F Word (Canada)
     8) Only Lovers Left Alive (USA)
     9) Blind Detective (Hong Kong)
    10)  Molly Maxwell (Canada)/Farrah Goes Bang (USA)

    Yeah ok, I cheated.  When it came time to pick one indie coming-of-age featuring a strong female character over another, I just couldn't do it.  I guess I could've recommended one of the following instead...

    Honourable mentions:

    Her (USA)
    12 Years A Slave (USA)
    The Wolf of Wall Street (USA)
    The East (USA)
    Therese (USA)
    Drug War (China)
    Friends From France (France)
    Palo Alto (USA)
    The Bling Ring (USA)
    Frances Ha (USA)

    To think I almost didn't see Dallas Buyers Club at TIFF 2013, it was a last-ditch attempt to rush a film that got me into the theatre to see this more-than-just-a-biopic.  McConaughey and his lazy southern drawl caught my attention long ago, but his recent work has proved that he is more than just a sex symbol.  Also supported by (award-winning) Jared Leto as the transgendered Rayon, the film is much more than just a biopic or just a propagandist piece for equality.  It's about Ron Woodruff, the homophobic, unlikely hero, drug dealing entrepreneur who took on the FDA and changed the way in which AIDS patients received medical treatment. 

    Trance escaped a lot of people's notice in my opinion, not that it was award-worthy, but it was every bit as entertaining (if not better) and enjoyable as some of the big name thrillers that hit the big screen in 2013 (ie. Red 2, Parker, Runner Runner, etc).  I will openly admit I have a soft spot for Danny Boyle so he would have to majorly screw something up for me not to list his films on my top 10, but Trance contains all of Boyle's slick Brit style, talented leads, and intriguing multi-layered story.  When I first saw Trance, I said it was what Shallow Grave might have been if Boyle had the money back then.  I think Shallow Grave was always meant to be smaller and darker, but the two films' most interesting aspect remains the transfer of power between the main characters, it is fascinating to watch this.


    I waited a while to see Captain Phillips, proclaiming that it wasn't really my thing... I take it back.  I could not get quite enough of this film, and had my knees not already been hitting the row in front of me, I surely would've been on the edge of my seat the entire time.  I guess that's how you can tell you've made a good movie, when even non-fans of the subject matter are completely engrossed.  Everyone seems to be on the bandwagon for the Barkhad Abdi fan club, no denying, he was great, but more so I think the ensemble of actors alongside a good story, solidified by good directing is what made the film.



    I'll tell you right away that not everyone will like Inside Llewyn Davis. Not even every Coen Brothers fan may like Inside Llewyn Davis.  Not much happens, and the dark humour is at times subtle and sad.  For me, I think it's their best film since The Man Who Wasn't There (not something the Coens are famously remembered for...and why not??), but then again I have a soft spot of meandering artists and a place/time where people can find a way to get by while living their dream.  Life is ambiguous, events don't always have a clear beginning and end, sometimes they fade, sometimes there is no clear resolution, you have to find charm in the little moments... preferably while folk songs are playing in the background.

    Another one that I didn't bother to see in theatres, in fact it was the last film I saw before making this list.  It was during a review to see what critically acclaimed films I had overlooked over the year that I recalled The Butler.  After seeing it, 12 Years A Slave dropped off my top 10 list (I'll discuss this film later).  Again ambiguity wins me over, though Forest Whittaker, Oprah Winfrey, and the huge all-star cast all doing their part didn't hurt either. It shows the remarkable amount of change society has undergone in one generation's lifetime, also the delicate balance between dignity and tolerance in the path to achieving your goals and dreams.


    At times the slow-boil pacing in Prisoners almost lost me, but ultimately I hung on.  Again moral issues loom large, which is probably what kept me going because - as insensitive as it may sound - tales of missing children just don't tug at my heartstrings.  The performances and enduring intensity throughout the film is what put Prisoners in my top 10.  Despite that, I can't guarantee how soon I will want to watch this film again, I don't think it's the type of movie to hold up in repeated viewings. But the first time made enough of an impact and it will stay with me regardless.



    My first attempt to see The F Word, I failed to get into the TIFF screening via the rush line.  Therefore I had to wait until Canada's Top 10 to see it - and I'm very glad I did. Daniel Radcliffe really proves himself a worthy romantic lead, and Zoe Kazan is very natural in her performance. I had a handful of doubts going into this film, everything from Michael Dowse directing (he's done some good work, but good work that's a looooong way from The F Word), to the potential hokiness based on the plot synopsis.  Nope, I loved the dialogue, the story, and of course the fact that it was filmed in many places that I'm familiar with in Toronto.



    Jim Jarmusch + vampires! That was really all it took to get me racing to the theatre.  I think you really have to be a fan of his to truly love this film, but the incredible style, the subtle humour, and beautiful production design, shot in exotic locales such as Tangiers... it was a delight to me.  The idea of casting Tilda Swinton as a vampire - brilliant! Though I will admit it was a struggle to stay awake while watching it during a sleep-deprived TIFF marathon, I did everything in my power to keep my eyes open so I could enjoy every nuance. Also made me want to wear gloves to every evening event afterwards.



    Ok, it's not an Ada Top 10 without a Hong Kong film, is it? I guess you might be tempted to ask me: Why Blind Detective over Drug War (Johnnie To's other film in 2013 that had a bigger release in North America)? Well, for starters... I said there needs to be HK film in my top 10, I specifically didn't say Chinese film... and that's just what Drug War is.  Though evident even while watching it, the point was much reinforced by Johnnie To himself at the Q&A following the film - Drug War was his first mainland China production. Sorry, this blurb is getting to be more about Drug War than Blind Detective... which is more classic good Johnnie To fun, with action, quick-witted dialogue, and a good dose of humour.  Sure, it's a little more campy and cliche, but it delivers in terms of entertainment value.  Also I hate to admit, but my being able to understand the dialogue helps a lot.

    As I'm short on time, I'm going to copy and paste from my original blog post that mentioned Molly Maxwell: "When it comes to 'coming of age' films, this is even better than Perks of Being A Wallflower.  Molly lives the life I've always dreamed for my adolescence, to be surrounded by freaks and have parents who let me do whatever I want, but clearly emotional turmoil touches everyone as they navigate their adolescence.  There's something so fresh and authentic about the story.  It's thought provoking and relate-able, and the leads have an incredible chemistry."




    Again in the name of time-saving, here is the review I wrote for TFS on Farrah Goes Bang: http://blogginginoblivion.blogspot.ca/2013/04/if-youre-headed-to-movies-this-week.html I am still insanely in love with the girls in this film and only wish a wider audience could see this.  Together with Molly Maxwell, this is what teens should be watching and aspiring to.  I hope to be able to own copies of both these movies, I need to see them again (maybe repeatedly).





    This brings us to the so-called "honourable mentions", a number of which are the Oscar contenders (sidenote: I've seen all of the major films to be nominated with the exception of Nebraska)

    Spike Jonze's Her made it on a lot of people's lists.  I, myself, was a little shocked that this film didn't wind up making my list.  Her is good and very relevant, but somehow I felt that the story itself could have gone further, could have gotten more fantastical.  Maybe it's hard to stay ahead of our rapidly technology-evolving world, but none of the ideas Jonze presented really seemed that far out/mind-blowing.  Yes, that is a twinge of disappointment you detect in my words.

    So why The Butler and not 12 Years A Slave? Do I think 12 Years A Slave had better performances? Yes. Do I think 12 Years A Slave was better directed? Yes. But if you stack up those stories, The Butler touched me emotionally and held a much greater impact than Steve McQueen's story ever did. My heart went out to Solomon Northup, it did, but overall it was about what horrible people white folk were, the great injustices suffered by African-Americans, and the brutalities they endured.  It's terrible stuff, but it's something I already knew.  The Butler showed me the profound change in the attitudes towards and rights of African Americans throughout a single lifetime, that was astonishing and moved me.  Hell, when they showed Obama getting elected, I had tears in my eyes.  Now that's how a movie gets on my top 10.

    I feel like it's Martin Scorsese's life goal to direct Leo DiCaprio to an Oscar.  Hang in there Marty, it'll happen - just not this year.  The Wolf of Wall Street was the film definition of "balls out", what the duo churned out was nothing short of amazing.  I'm loving how Leo's starting to take on different roles, not just the super intense, serious, good guys (Hey Christian Bale, you listening?).  First Calvin Candie in Django Unchained, now here in the Wolf of Wall Street.  That Oscars getting close, I can sense it.

    The East and The Bling Ring, two films that I enjoyed a lot, but didn't seem to get much box office attention.  I thought they deserved a mention here. For those who did see The Bling Ring and like films directed by Coppolas... watch out for Palo Alto later this year.  I caught it at TIFF, where afterwards I described Gia Coppola as a cross between Sophia and Larry Clark, this judgement based solely on Palo Alto of course. It's based on a book of short stories by James Franco, who's also in the film, along with a lot of other beautiful people.

    Therese and Friends From France were both films I caught at TIFF 2013.  Therese is a period drama based on the novel by Emile Zola, staring the ever-amazing Jessica Lange, as well as the talented Elizabeth Olsen.  It's arguably a story of bad people, who get exactly what they deserve.  It's also about desperation and guilt, and doing what you must to survive.  Friends from France is about young idealists going to the USSR undercover to make contact with fellow Jews in hopes of helping them leave the country and freeing them from further persecution. Alongside themes of religious freedoms there is also a sad love story, as well as a glimpse into a minority I'd previously known little about.

    Drug War - I think I've discussed enough above.


    I actually saw Frances Ha in 2012 and didn't think to mention it in my top 10 last year, so why should I bring it up this year?  Well, Frances Ha had its theatrical release in 2013, garnering good reviews and lots of attention of being Woody Allen-esque and lots of praise for Gretta Gerwig.  All this prompted me to mention Frances Ha as a good film, and worth seeing if you haven't done so already.

    My other last minute add-on is August: Osage County.  It contains some of the best scenes you will have seen in a 2013 release.  Meryl Streep should get that Oscar, who cares if she's already got so many she probably uses them as bowling pins.

    And there you have it, my top 10 films of 2013 - laced with Oscar commentary.  Guess we find out tonight just how much the Academy agrees with me!

    1 comment:

    1. Тhanks for finally talking about > "Ada's Top 10 Films of 2013" < Loved it!

      my blog; tour academy
      home edition review

      ReplyDelete