Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, October 2, 2009

    TIFF 09 Round Up - Part 2

    My Queen Karo - Dir. Dorothee Van Den Berghe

    Amsterdam, 70’s, squatters, leftist free thinkers, revolutionaries and not to mention good advance buzz, just a handful of reasons why I was looking forward to seeing My Queen Karo. But that’s just the back drop, the story centres around a young girl and the relationships within her expanding family in the age of free love, giving it a more universal theme told with innocence and free of convention from the eyes of child. The Q&A following this film also provided some insight on the casting of the child lead and the filmmakers relationship to the setting. I enjoyed My Queen Karo but when sandwiched in the middle of 30 films, it doesn’t shine. It’s subtle complexities are thoroughly engaging and I would recommend checking it out.

    3.5/5

    I, Don Giovanni – Dir. Carlos Saura

    Half music history lesson, half mind-blowing cinematography is how I would describe I, Don Giovanni, which is about De Ponte’s life in and around the time he and Mozart composed this very famous opera. Maybe it was because I was very tired, maybe it was because the emphasis really was on the aural and visual aesthetic, but I didn’t really feel like I absorbed enough of the story. Not to mention I have a tendency to stop reading subtitles during the singing numbers, I’ve always thought it more important to really hear the music rather than read and derive meeting from the words (might have something to do with my belief that “opera in English is still opera” haha). If you’re an opera fan or want to see some terrific sets, you should definitely take a look at this film.

    2.5/5

    No comments:

    Post a Comment