Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, September 29, 2009

    TIFF 09 Round Up - Part 1


    Hey, we're talking 30 films here, there will be nothing short and sweet about this no matter how you dice it.  That being said I have decided to dish it in small doses.

    Ada's TIFF 09 got off to a good start but lacked real stellar-ness until day 8.  This was the first year I'd reached the 30 film mark and when you're trying to absorb that much in this timeframe, it really takes an extra something to stand out.  Many a film that I would normally recommended just becomes part of the movie mush in my brain come TIFF time.

    Bright Star – Dir. Jane Campion

    Like nurturing love, Bright Star takes patience and devotion to appreciate.  The finer points of the film are somewhere between the characters and the story, and need to be found between the layers of seeming tragedies bestowed on these doomed lovers.  There are scenes that are indescribably beautiful, but same as first love, it doesn’t last.  Mostly Bright Star is delicate, pretty, and slow.  I think one needs to be very used to British period romantic dramas to enjoy this, and even then it’s still trying.  I’d say it’s worth watching, and my pessimistic views might also come partially from the unfortunate reminder that I don’t really like Keats.  *shrug*  If you want to get into spoiler territory:  I didn’t like the ending.  In an earlier entry I made some quasi-joke about “is it better to burn out or fade out?” (hey I’m a child of the 90’s), not having seen the ending.  But now I’d like to revisit… I didn’t like the fade out ending, let’s face it, it was depressing – and not in a way that added to the film.  Ending with seeing his death firsthand would’ve been expected (not necessarily ideal), but for it to be nothing but a delivered message?  I thought there were better ways to end the film without making it too fairy tale or cliche.  Perhaps showing Fanny’s longing after he’s departed to Italy, and giving the details of Keats’ death in one line of text over black (because we all know he dies anyway).  Some voice over passage of his poetry describing love, or a past letter to Fanny as the picture fades… there was a part near the end where she reads one of his letters, which had some dreamy nostalgic imagery.  I think I was left more dissatisfied by the plodding in and around and after his death.  Any of my suggestions would have not only kept my interest, but probably shaved a good 10 mins off the film too – which I think audiences would have appreciated (considering the number of walk outs in the theatre) 

    2.5/5

    Broken Embraces – Dir. Pedro Almodovar

    I'm not overly familiar with Almodovar's work other than Volver, but he’s got a way of propelling a story forward even when amidst a series of somewhat mundane events.  It contains strong and developed characters backed by a coherent story.  Penelope Cruz is terrific as usual.  The plot really wasn’t as abstract as I’d thought, on the contrary.  If you liked Volver, you must see Broken Embraces.  Almodovar is an auteur and I am sold, even if his work doesn’t bowl me over, I’ve developed a taste for its fluidity and beauty. 

    3.5/5

    Daybreakers – Dir. The Spierig Brothers 

    This is not only a rip-roarin’ vampire gore-fest, it is a genuinely good movie that I would recommend to all horror/sci-fi fans regardless of their stance on cult/b movies.  All that is required is the ability to tolerate gore – squeamish need not apply.  Here you have all the makings of a respectable film – enjoyable performances by talented actors – Ethan Hawke, Sam Neill and Willem Dafoe, good writing by the Spierig brothers, and all the bells and whistles of a decent-sized Hollywood budget.  I thought it was truly innovative portraying vampires not only as the dominant race, but one struggling for its survival and exploring so many relevant social and moral issues from a fresh perspective.  This is likely the most impressive horror film I’ve seen since The Eye by the Pang Brothers broke new ground for Asian (esp Thai) horror suspense, and the best Midnight Madness film programmed this year. 

    4.5/5 

    Stay tuned for many, many more reviews...

    No comments:

    Post a Comment