Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, November 21, 2012

    Silver Linings Playbook - Opens Today!

    In theatres today is the winner of this year's Toronto International Film Festival Blackberry People's Choice Award... Silver Linings Playbook.


    I caught it during TIFF and these were my thoughts from back in September:


    TIFF draws a wide audience, from those seeking out rare films from the other side of the world that will likely never to be screened in a theatre again, to those hoping to catch the celeb-laden Oscar contenders before they are released in regular theatres.  I’m a believer in diversity and try to get in a mix of both, but I have to admit Silver Linings Playbook was never high on my list of must-sees while in festival-mode, despite being penned and directed by David O. Russell (in a follow up to his very successful last film - The Fighter).  Maybe it had something to do with the fact that it starred pretty boy Bradley Cooper, whom I associate with fluffy rom-coms and other sub-intellectual roles (don’t get me wrong, I very much want him in my bed, we just wouldn’t be reading Shakespeare or anything), but I wasn’t expecting  a standout.  However, when I had a few hours open to catch a film one morning, I thought it might just be the thing to see while waiting for the caffeine to kick in.  It looked like it would be easy on the eyes, have no subtitles, and probably not a lot of brain power required either.  I won’t say I was wrong in thinking this (I’m a little conceited and don’t like to admit that I’m wrong) but I was misguided in believing this wouldn’t be a standout.

    The Weinstein Company provides us with this synopsis:
    “Life doesn't always go according to plan. Pat Solatano has lost everything - his house, his job, and his wife. He now finds himself living back with his mother and father after spending eight months in a state institution on a plea bargain. Pat is determined to rebuild his life, remain positive and reunite with his wife, despite the challenging circumstances of their separation. All Pat's parents want is for him to get back on his feet - and to share their family's obsession with the Philadelphia Eagles football team. When Pat meets Tiffany, a mysterious girl with problems of her own, things get complicated. Tiffany offers to help Pat reconnect with his wife, but only if he'll do something very important for her in return. As their deal plays out, an unexpected bond begins to form between them, and silver linings appear in both of their lives.”
    The story of a down and out individual (Bradley Cooper) struggling to bounce back and make good is nothing new, but it is a good way to build a story arc and climax.  Main character wants to get his girl back but suddenly a “mysterious” new woman (Jennifer Lawrence) enters the picture and they form an “unexpected bond”…again, a bit formulaic. If you can’t guess what happens at the end, I’m going to personally come to your door and hit you over the head with a copy of Nick and Nora’s Infinite Playlist (circa TIFF 2008).  
    So what is good about this movie then?  Everything else!  David O. Russell really kicks the movie up a notch with superb casting.  Jennifer Lawrence and Robert DeNiro (as Pat Solatano Sr, the superstitious Eagles-obsessed patriarch) play up their characters’ quirks and eccentricities just right.  They touch the limits of believable without going over the top.  Bradley Cooper also comfortably tackles his role as the bi-polar Pat Jr. who’s in denial that his marriage is over.   Also look out for Chris Tucker making a subtler-than-usual, but equally hilarious contribution. What makes the movie for me though is the dialogue, it’s driven by the script without ever coming off as overly wordy.  For every conventional aspect of the story, fresh lively banter makes up for it.  The exchanges between Lawrence and Cooper are charged whether the intent is humour or stir emotions, they’ll have you hanging on for every last retort and jape.

    I had a really good time at this movie, I was right to believe Silver Linings Playbook to be easily digestible and easy on the eyes (I’m so busy drooling over Cooper that I neglected to mention Jennifer Lawrence is a total knockout with dark hair, forget being blonde honey) but in an Oscar-worthy sort of way.  Check it out with your best friend, your mom, your neighbor, or your dog sitter.  It will appeal to a very wide audience and likely see some Oscar nods.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment