Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, September 1, 2015

    #AdaTIFFmems - Captains of the Elgin

    I offhandedly refer to "captains" or "captaining" a lot.  This is amongst that TIFF lingo that you either know or you don't.

    There are volunteers, then there are volunteers who sorta get those volunteers organized on shift... those are the captains.  So when we're on the job and guiding our group of volunteers, we call that "captaining".

    I've been captaining at the Elgin for about 14 festivals (this will be my 15th... I actually did a capt shift in my 2nd year volunteering, but took one festival off when I worked in the photography department for the festival).  I've never been one to work throughout the festival, you'll usually see me at the Elgin during the first half of the festival only, but to my knowledge I am the longest returning captain at the venue.

    Those of us who come back year after year to Elgin/Winter Garden are pretty close, we've had a good returning rate over the years, but of course, some years have more returning captains than others.  Sometimes I wonder if I might come off as less friendly to new captains, or captains who are just coming in to do a couple of shifts (to save the day when we're short!).  This is compounded some years by our clique jokes (usually meant to razz the Ryerson captains more than exclude anyone), or Candy (in the old days) coming in uttering "I don't recognize any of these people!" (which I still think is funny because half the time she's pointing at people who have been there for years and she just has a bad memory!)

    Let's just quell those thoughts right now.  If I have less interaction with you, it's because I don't think you'll understand my idiosyncrasies.  We get so used to the way things run around the theatre we're just on automatic.  A new/guest captain might wonder why I'm shoving an envelope full of elastics at you in the lobby an hour before your show goes in, those of us who've been there for years know that despite your show not going in yet, a lotta small fires are going to erupt soon and this will be the last chance you have to get supplies from the room before ticket count.

    We actually wish more like-minded returning captains would join (or re-join!) our ranks, having the theatre run like a well-oiled machine is marvelous. Being able to predict each others needs and actions a total bonus.  Plus in those stressful moments when we forget a please or thank you... the regulars understand.  So please, don't ever think we're exclusive.

    That said (yikes... that was a LOT said!), the captains of the Elgin/Winter Garden are a close-knit bunch.  We like to hang out at orientations, training, onsite, offsite, in line, at parties, on facebook... pretty much where ever we happen to cross paths.

    I set off to find a few photos of us and wound up maxing the memory on my iphone because I downloaded too many pics (sheesh)... this isn't even all of it, nonetheless, be prepared to scroll for a while...

    2005 Captains - Nick, Afsha, Tammy, Candy, Michelle (at a party in the Elgin freigh elevator for those who remember...)
    The original Mean Girls of the Elgin?








    (Left) I believe Nick was the first Captain to join the dark side and become a FOHA.
    (Right) Tammy and I in 2006

    Back then only the Elgin was used, but we never left the building whether we were on shift or not (Right to left: Mel, me, Mike, and Candy)
    We're pretty snappy dressers once you get us out of those t-shirts (Left to right: Boy Chris, Rosa, me, Candy, Diane, Mel)
     

    (Left) Marguerite and I on "hat day" at the Elgin, (Right) Captain Tanya on hat day - note: Tanya left us for RTH but returns for one day only during TIFF 15!

    A tale of two Chris' - around the building they were known as 'Captain Girl Chris' and 'Captain Boy Chris'
    We're always at the TIFF Staff & Volunteer Party posing for pictures together (Captain Neal in the yellow!)

    This might be the year they had the Captain's party at The Pilot...? (Davor on the right also became TIFF staff after a few years of capataining, you'll spot the traitor at Scotia for TIFF 15)

    I'm missing at least a couple notable captains... for all the time Veronica and I spend together outside of TIFF (I'm not exaggerating, we've taken roadtrips together with our moms) we don't have that many photos of just the two of us.

    The other of course is Jonny, but I will rectify that situation before #AdaTIFFmems is done. Promise.

    I'll leave you with the most recent Elgin captains photo, which was taken last night!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment