Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, August 24, 2015

    #AdaTIFFmems - TIFF is about the movies too

    I'd like to think my favourite memories about TIFF are varied.  Some volunteer stories, some tales about celebs... friendships, fumbles, and today, I even have a memory about an actual movie!  A film memory from a film festival, what a concept...

    I don't know if I have an all-time favourite TIFF movie (actually, I'm certain I don't). I have movies that are tied to a good story, part of a good night, and then some that are are neither but have stuck with me over the years.

    One of those is TIFF 2003's Jeux d'Enfants (Love Me If You Dare).

    I didn't see it under any special circumstances. Eugene told me to pick a movie and this one caught my eye.  It was French, seemed like something in the tradition of Amelie (which I think came to theatres in North America in 2002), whose whimsy we were all still reeling from and freaking out about.

    Turned out, Love Me if You Dare was even better!  Starring a then unknown (in North America anyway) Marion Cotillard and Guilliame Canet, it's an irresistible romance (and that says a lot coming from me) with just a splash of fantasy.  It remains one of my favs to this day.

    If you like Amelie and/or Michel Gondry's films, I'd encourage you to go back and check this one out. Certainly better than Gondry's Mood Indigo (whimsy for whimsy's sake in my opinion).  I've recommended it to many friends over the years, you won't be sorry.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment